Reading is always encouraged in the English Classes. Now at the start of the new year English Class second graders have started working toward their reading diplomas. That means reading seven books within a certain period of time. Their teacher, Ms. Anu, arranged for the library to deliver a huge stack of books written by Tapani Bagge.
In no time at all the class was deeply engrossed in reading Bagge’s books. in addition to the pure joy of reading there was an additional motivating factor because the second graders were actually going to have an opportunity to meet the author and talk about books!
The greatly awaited day finally arrived and the class went to Pori’s public library to meet author Tapani Bagge. Bagge is a very diversified writer who writes not only great books for children, but he has also published numerous novels, plays, scripts for radio plays, comic texts, as well as television series scripts. (He is perhaps best known for his mysteries and crime books for adults.)
The pupils had prepared interview questions together to ask Bagge during their visit. The questions were posed in Finnish (see above) but translated they were as follows:
- How many books in total have you written?
- Do you like your work as a writer?
- How many years have you been writing?
- How did you become a writer?
- Out of all the books you have written, which one is your favourite?
- Where do you get the ideas for your books?
- How long does it take to write a book?
- What is the longest book you have written?
- Do you still write books?
Hopefully Bagge’s answers to these questions will inspire our second graders to read and write themselves!